The echoes of the past in the higher education green paper appear accidental and do not reflect much institutional memory.
So HEPI has chosen to respond to the proposals by asking experienced people with deep roots in the higher education sector to reflect on them. The authors are:
- Graham Gibbs on teaching;
- Bahram Bekhradnia on research;
- Roger King on regulation;
- Gary Attle on consumerisation;
- Roxanne Stockwell on new providers; and
- Emma Sims on students’ unions.
It is time for a new legal framework for higher education, but we need to ensure it improves the quality of the sector rather than inadvertently harming it, and the authors’ proposals are aimed at ensuring that happens.