This roundtable featured guest speaker Lord David Willetts, Board Member of UKRI, former Universities Minister (2010-15) and author of A University Education. It provided a forum to discuss issues including:
- the evidence base (or not) for research-informed teaching;
- cross-subsidies from teaching to research (or vice versa);
- how the projected increases in R&D spending could relate to the interaction of teaching and research;
- challenges arising from the new regulatory system, which splits teaching from research more clearly than in the past; and
- whether research-only institutes could divert funding away from institutions that combine teaching and research?