What is the student voice? 13 essays on how to listen to students and how to act on what they say edited by Michael Natzler, HEPI’s Policy Officer, is a new collection of essays which provides a range of views on what and where the student voice resides and how to listen and respond to it.
The collection covers a wide range of topics from the role of sabbatical officers as governors to the National Union of Students, mature students and includes contributions from survey experts, sabbatical officers and a vice-chancellor as well as interviews with the Office for Students’ Student Panel.
Including a chapter by Nick Hillman, HEPI Director, the chapters are:
- Students as governors: walking the tightrope and shouting into the void
Eve Alcock, Former Student Union President at the University of Bath
- What do students think and how do universities find out?
Professor Graham Galbraith, Vice-Chancellor, University of Portsmouth
- Disabled students: the experts we forget we need
Rensa Gaunt, Former Disabled Students’ Officer 2020/21, University of Cambridge
- Using surveys to represent the student voice and demonstrate the quality of the experience
Jonathan Neves, Head of Business Intelligence and Surveys, Advance HE
- The virtuous loop: capturing the student voice through course and module evaluation
Dr Helena Lim, PFHEA, Head of Opportunities, EvaSys
- The student voice at the heart of the system (but only when they’re thinking what we’re thinking)
Professor Andy Westwood, Professor of Government Practice, University of Manchester
- The Office for Students’ Student Panel in their own words
Michael Natzler, Policy Officer, HEPI
- The importance of the NUS for representing the voices of students
Aaron Porter, Council Member of Goldsmiths University, Chair of BPP University and a former President of the National Union of Students in 2010/11
- Restoring the real student voice
Dennis Hayes, Emeritus Professor of Education, University of Derby
- Students’ voices in curriculum design
Professor Dilly Fung, Pro-Director Education, London School of Education and Political Science
- The student voice and accommodation
Jenny Shaw, Student Experience Director, Unite Students and Paul Humphreys, Founder and CEO, StudentCrowd
- Mature students: a silent or a silenced voice?
Cath Brown, former President of the Open University Students Association
- International students in the UK – perspectives put in context
Roy Kiruri, Former International Students’ Officer 2020/21, University of Bristol