***UPDATE: A recording of the webinar is now available below***
On Thursday 7 July 2022 – to coincide with the publication of a report on the topic – HEPI will be hosting a webinar looking at one of the most disadvantaged minority groups in UK education.
Gypsies, Roma and Travellers (GRT) are among the lowest achieving ethnic groupings in the UK education system, with stark disparities in attainment apparent from early years education through to higher education. The new HEPI report, Gypsies, Roma and Travellers: The ethnic minorities most excluded from UK education, looks at the reasons behind poor educational outcomes; the issues faced by GRT students in higher education institutions; and an overview of current schemes to improve GRT access to higher education in the UK and concludes by making several policy recommendations.
Chair: Dr Alexis Brown, Director of Policy and Advocacy, HEPI
- Dr Laura Brassington, Policy Manager, HEPI and author of the report
- Professor Margaret Greenfields, Professor of Social Policy, Anglia Ruskin University and Buckinghamshire New University
- Dr Tanja Jovanovic, former Graduate Research Associate at the Centre for Higher Education and Equity Research (CHEER), University of Sussex
- Shannon Phillips, recent graduate of English with Legal Studies, University of Sussex
- Collen Roper, co-founder, Future4Fairgrounds
To register your place please go to https://us06web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_owRw74A8R2eNZawjYsuDQw