- 19 October, 2017 - 19 October, 2017
- 12.15pm to 2.15pm
- UPP Foundation, 40 Gracechurch Street, London EC3V 0BT
HEPI/UPP Foundation roundtable lunch with guest speaker Professor Glyn Davis, Vice-Chancellor, University of Melbourne. Professor Davis will be in London to deliver the UPP Foundation Inaugural Autumn Lecture on the theme of “Dissolving the university? Will higher education follow the monasteries into ruin?”. At the roundtable lunch, Professor Davis will be previewing some of the themes from his evening lecture to kick-start a discussion around the table. Issues we expect to be discussed include:
• Is the traditional model of the university genuinely under threat? And where do these threats come from? Politicians? Students? The wider public?
• How can HE leaders make an effective intervention in the public debate around the role and purpose of a university education?
• If Australia provides lessons for the UK, what more can we learn from the Australian experience around, for example, student funding and the uncapping of student number controls? (see HEPI Report (68) : http://www.hepi.ac.uk/2014/08/07/hepi-publishes-detailed-study-removing-student-number-controls-australia-mean-england/).
• And as the UK moves further into Brexit waters, what is the view of senior HE leaders in Australia on the way forward for the UK HE sector, particularly with regard to international students?
Invite-only. For further information please contact Sarah Isles at email@example.com