The Higher Education Policy Institute and Kaplan International Pathways are jointly publishing a major new piece of research, The costs and benefits of international students by parliamentary constituency, undertaken by London Economics.
- the gross benefits – including tuition fees, other spending and economic knock-on effects – of international students amount to £22.6 billion;
- these gross benefits are, on average, £87,000 for each EU student and £102,000 for each non-EU student;
- the public costs of hosting international students – including education, health and social security – total £2.3 billion;
- these public costs are, on average, £19,000 for each EU student and £7,000 for each non-EU student;
- the net impact (benefits minus costs) of hosting international students totals £20.3 billion; and
- this net impact is, on average, £68,000 for each EU student and £95,000 for each non-EU student