On Monday 25 June, the team at Oracle – a HEPI partner organisation – is hosting a half-day event looking at the big issues of equality, diversity and inclusion in UK higher education.
The event aims to provide a platform for institutions to share ideas, strategies and best practices which are being used to address imbalances in diversity, equality and inclusion at all levels of the higher education sector, including leadership, academic and student representation.
A range of guest speakers from leading higher education organisations will discuss and debate key issues with respect to attracting employees and students from different backgrounds, retaining them, and increasing their representation.
HEPI Director of Policy and Advocacy, Dr Diana Beech, is set to get the day going with reflections on equality and diversity issues from the recently released HEPI / Advance HE 2018 Student Academic Experience Survey. She will outline how the student academic experience differs for those from minority ethnic communities and how lower wellbeing levels experienced by students identifying as Lesbian, Gay, Bi-sexual and Transgender (LGBT+) are becoming a cause for concern. Diana will also highlight recent HEPI reports, including ideas for Reaching the parts of society universities have missed, the need to address diversity issues in light of the growing Demand for Higher Education to 2030, and the drive to create The Positive and Mindful University.
As a leading global IT company, Oracle will also share its experiences of attracting and retaining people from diverse backgrounds, with presentations on Oracle’s Women Leadership (OWL) programme, Oracle’s Pride Employee Network (OPEN), as well as the work it is undertaking around Black Asian Minority (BAM) groups.
With this event, Oracle hopes to build a forum of deeper engagement with higher education institutions across the UK, their staff and their students.
You can view the agenda for the event below and register to attend for free here.
For more information about this event, or if you have any questions, please email [email protected].
- 9.30am – Registration & Networking
- 10am – Welcome and Introduction from Anthony Nneke, Higher Education Business Development Manager, Oracle
- 10.10am – My Journey at Oracle, Stewart Monk, Senior Director, Oracle Sales Enablement, Oracle
- 10.30am – Higher Education Landscape, Dr Diana Beech, Director of Policy and Advocacy, HEPI
- 10.50am – Putting academic thinking into practice, Dr Shaheena Janjuha-Jivraj, Associate Professor, Henley Business School, University of Reading
- Break 11.10am
- 11.30am – Championing Women in Industry, Ana Perez, Chair of Oracle’s Women Leadership, Oracle
- 11.50am – What it means to be an LGBT Ally, Amber Edwards, Chair of Oracle Pride Employee Network, Oracle
- 12.10am – Improving Representation, Andrew Anthony, CEO, Diverse Executives
- 12.30am – Panel Discussion (30min), chaired by Claire Mutter, Diversity Lead, PA Consulting
- 1pm – Wrap Up and Close (Optional Lunch)